Friday, September 23, 2011

Shabbat Shalom!

I spent part of the morning in our eldest daughter's 4th grade classroom with other parents and grandparents.  Each student/parent/grandparent team told the class of their family origin... we all came from some where other then America!  I listened as the stories unfolded.. there were Holocaust survivors, people born in DP camps, people who came from Italy, Russia, Poland, Israel, Ukraine etc.  Everyone  had a story and I was once again brought back to feeling grateful and in awe of our People's history, our perseverance and strength.  I was reminded of the hard work and sacrifices made by those who came before us so that we could have a better life.   And the only way I can repay them for all that they gave us, is to help 'pay it forward' and try to instill values of family, good deeds, optimism, perseverance, inner-strength and more in my children.

On the last Shabbat of our Jewish New Year, I will think about what values I hold dear and will talk with the kids about what it means to live a 'good life'.  I will ask them to describe what a "good life"means to them and they will not be allowed to use the words: itouch, ipad, computer or TV... :-)  I'll let you know how it goes.  !

Shana Tova u'Metukah~Blessings for a good and sweet New Year.

1 comment: