Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Elul 8 Not the Same Old Story.

In the July/August issue of Yoga Chicago Magazine, there is a wonderful review of the 
The 12th Midwest Yoga Conference that took place this past May. "All for Love" was the theme this year and editor Sharon Steffensen writes the following about Seane Corn's class, "Yoga for a Broken Heart."
Seane Corn

"The physical body holds onto the anger and grief," said Seane. "We need to move the energy so that we ourselves don't become sick or depressed. Depression of emotions is a catalyst for depression."
....Ultimately, said Seane, "Forgive yourself for thinking it should have gone better. Forgive yourself for not saying or doing something differently. Name it, claim it, own it, and put it out into the universe. Don't hold onto it.. We can't allow grief to define the whole of our life, nor can we repress or shut it down.. Honor it, come back to the present, and then move on. We do this again and again because it is a process."

Although Seane Corn was speaking particularly about how she dealt with the anger and grief of her father's death, her teaching about working with our emotions is clear, helpful and very much about teshuva.  

To get in touch with our broken heart is not only about knowing and feeling pain, it also about being brave enough to release our pain.  To let it go.  Not easy, I know.  

One of my teachers, Rabbi Sheila Peltz Weinberg once told me that I don't  have to live the same story over and over again.  I have a story. We all do.  A story about growing up, about things that have happened to us. A story about challenges and difficulties.  Sheila taught me that we are not our pain, suffering, grief, anger, guilt, sadness--these emotions and stories are part of us for sure, but they need not define us, nor prevent us from turning and re/turning. 

Today I can remember my story and know that I can begin to live a new story that will bring me to the one whom I am meant to be.  Here's to the challenge and the blessing! 



1 comment:

  1. thank you. I am still working on forgiving myself for mistakes I have made long ago. It is not easy.

    ReplyDelete