Saturday, September 3, 2011

Elul 5 Returning to what matters

Gabi, my 9 year old wanted to make sure I was going to sing her 7 year old brother his bedtime prayers tonight even though his twin sister was at a sleepover.  I said "yes" and then she quietly asked me if I was going to sing to her prayers tonight.  I didn't miss a beat and said "yes, of course." How precious that she should ask.  What a blessing to be able to hear this gentle question from a child~'will you sing me my bedtime prayers?

The kids love their bedtime ritual and miss it when it doesn't happen.  I sometimes forget that.  There are plenty of nights when bedtime is complete chaos and we can't wait to finish up with them and say a lila tov--a goodnight.  Even tonight, actually, I sent a text to a friend saying it will be nice to put the kids to sleep and have a bit of quiet time.

And now I find myself thinking our bedtime ritual of books~n~prayers provides a great measure of comfort, safety and blessing to the kids.  I am filled with gratitude for being present enough to hear Gabi's quiet, sweet request tonight.  

Shavua Tov~May this be a good week of returning to what really matters!





1 comment:

  1. "Shavua Tov~May this be a good week of returning to what really matters!"

    AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete