Monday, October 3, 2011

Thoughts after a Funeral

I am sitting in the Subaru auto-service waiting area.  I came in for a quick oil change and was told I need new front and rear breaks.  I'm glad I brought work to do. Needed new breaks seems like a great metaphor right now. I definitely need to slow down and come to a complete stop with ease... and take a break from doing, working, going all the time! I bet a lot of us do.

Recently, a friend asked if I ever got an entire day to just hang out by myself and do whatever I want. Wow.  Can't remember when the last time that happened. How would I spend my time?

Yesterday I officiated at the funeral of a beautiful 54 year old woman who was a beloved daughter, wife and mom of two.  There were close to 1000 people at her funeral because she had a heart large enough to hold them all.  We never really know who we reach with our love or who has been touched by a deed, word or good thought we send.  For some of us, living a life that offers unconditional love and acceptance, sweet hugs and acts of kindness comes naturally.  For others, it takes a concentrated effort to live life in this manner. Either way, when we do live with the intention to live a meaningful life of good deeds, acceptance and love, the world has got to be a better place.  Just has to be.   And we are better for it.

We are now into the 10 Days of Awe--the days between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur devoted to ongoing reflection and repentance.  I reflect today on how I can be more open and accepting of others and myself.  I am inspired by the strong women who have come before me. Women who, despite encountering (daily) pain and challenges, model what it means to live with a loving heart and a compassionate soul.

For those who have paved the way... I am grateful.



No comments:

Post a Comment